We all long for it and seek it, peace, that state that often seems so difficult to obtain. The dictionary defines it as freedom from disturbance; quiet and tranquility. Freedom from being emotionally disturbed.
Isaiah prophesies 700 years prior to Jesus dying that that death would bring our peace.
4 Surely He has borne our griefs
And carried our sorrows;
Yet we esteemed Him stricken,
Smitten by God, and afflicted.
5 But He was wounded for our transgressions,
He was bruised for our iniquities;
The chastisement for our peace was upon Him,
And by His stripes we are healed.
However, just like healing we have to appropriate that which was legally provided for. The enemy will always try to steal our peace, maybe now more than ever. A house to be cleaned, bills to pay, a trip to prepare for..then drop in a baby, an unexpected illness or guest or bill and our peace can evaporate like a thin wisp of air…..
Yet God is so clear:
John 10:10 “ The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.
We have to KNOW God’s wants us to live life with abundance and not lack and that includes His generous dose of inner peace.
Luke 12:32 “Do not fear, little flock, for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom.
- He enjoys it when we access all that He has made available to us through Christ, it brings Him joy and pleasure
- Just like a parent on Christmas morning with their kids, keep this picture in mind when you pray, God delights in YOU!
I love the word for peace in Hebrew: Shalom
According to Strong’s Concordance 7965 Shalom means completeness, wholeness, health, safety, soundness, tranquility, prosperity, perfectness, fullness, rest, harmony, the absence of agitation or discord.
Nothing missing/ Nothing Lacking
We were made for Peace
- When I hear the description of Shalom – I see a picture of the Garden of Eden, and the original state of man with God. This is what we were made for, and what Jesus wants to restore to us eternally, but also while we are here on earth as well.
- We crave it… the beach, the mountains, the spa,
- It’s contagious – You quickly pick up if people have peace or don’t have peace and it can effect you. I have learned this the hard way. When I am with those without it I have learned I have to declare it over them, to them and to myself so I don’t pick up a sense of agitation.
- Peace has becoming increasingly allusive if a fast paced, success oriented, gadget driven, morally corrupt and broken world
- Peace evades us globally and nationally
- Peace evades us in the work place due to competition, corruption, gossip, commutes with traffic
- Peace evades us in our homes due to selfishness, anger outburst, disagreements, the Television…
Antonyms for Peace:
Disagreement/ Hatred/ Frustration/ Worry/ War/ Stress/Anxiety
There is so much that can literally rob us of the peace that was purchased at such a great price. We actually are in a daily battle to hold on to the inheritance that Jesus purchased for us. It is a battle in the mind and then in the mouth and heart. It is a battle we can win! We just have to be mindful to:
Come to Jesus
For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
- Prince is a title of authority – Jesus is Lord, Ruler, King
- When you are under authority you are affected by the traits of that authority; we feel it with our government authorities, teachers, bosses
- When He rules in our life, He comes with all that He is and part of that is a promise of peace
Romans 10:9 “that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.”
Luke 6:46 46 “But why do you call Me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do the things which I say?”
- He wants to speak to us about our lives, give us wisdom on how to order our days, show us areas of our heart that we need to allow Him into for healing, but if we resist His Lordship, we are resisting what comes under His Lordship – Peace
Ephesians 2:14: For He Himself is our peace…
- The closer we are to Jesus, the closer we are to the very essence of Peace
- Jesus is the Word – The more time we are in the Word the more time we spend in His presence in Worship and Prayer, the more we receive that peace that comes from who He is.
- The wholeness, the completeness, the rest, and tranquility that we long for can never be fully found in other people, in nature, music… there are merely glimmers and reflections of Him
- He Himself is our peace… it’s part of God’s make-up and what Jesus came to bring you and me. Our peace does not exist apart from Jesus. It’s not shallow, it’s not temporary… it’s deep and abiding, comforting and reassuring and extremely tangible.
“Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
- The more you receive the love of God and see yourself the way God sees you, and see and treat others the same way, the more you will discover that peace comes
- Remember that insecurity, Worry and Fear drive peace out. Take those thoughts captive so that you have room for all the Peace He promises.
His Promise of Peace Cannot be Taken Away
For the mountains shall depart
And the hills be removed,
But My kindness shall not depart from you,
Nor shall My covenant of peace be removed,”
Says the Lord, who has mercy on you.
- Covenant = Binding Agreement available to you and me
- Regardless of what we see around us
- Our Stress/Worry/Anxiety doesn’t glorify God; He loves you and knows what is best for you – I have made a covenant of peace with you through Jesus, access it!